Sunday, June 8, 2008

"The Talk"


I recently had to have "the talk" with James. It was the night he turned 13 and he asked me a very pointed question. Unfortunately, Dirk was not there to help me out since we were up at the cabin and he stayed home to work. So me and my dad had "the talk" with James. I think he understood most of what we were saying, he's mature enough to understand most of it. Once I told Dirk about "the talk", he admitted that he should have been there and said that he will have to have another "talk" with James to straighten him out since we have very different ideas. I mean, what do you say when your teenage son asks you "Mom, what's the difference between a democrat and a republican?" I am a republican and Dirk is a democrat and I had to handle "the talk" about politics all by myself. James is currently undecided about which party he supports. To be fair, I did try to give him the good points of both parties: republicans like guns and democrats like abortion; republicans like to urge people to work, democrats like to urge people to stay home and live off of those that work; republicans support those that fight for this country, democrats take $$ from those who fight for this country. No seriously, I tried to be as good as possible and show the good points of both parties. That's why he's undecided.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Funny! You had me going for a minute.

Laine said...

Hahahahaha!!

Anonymous said...

This is CORY by the way. Go Republicans. Who does't like a good gun! (lol)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I had to laugh when I got to the "REAL" subject of "the talk"! It's very impressive that you were able to be so unbiased in sharing the good and bad points of each party. lol Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Did you hedge and say that you didn't have to think Bush was legit to be a republican?