Monday, March 10, 2008

Sick weekend


Okay, I have read all your blogs about kids getting sick and was so grateful that we missed it. It couldn't last forever and this weekend, we got it. Friday James came home from school and had a slight fever and went straight to sleep. Later that night he was running around claiming there were bugs all over him and whining that he couldn't sleep. Saturday he was coughing and just looking awful. I was at the store when he called me about something and I just got the feeling I needed to take him to the doctor, so I called and they closed in 5 minutes but would stay open till we got there. An hour later, he was diagnosed with influenza A as well as strep. Dirk gave him a blessing (thank goodness for the priesthood). The insurance wouldn't cover the $125 tamiflu meds but we did it anyway (they suggested the whole family get on it, but I couldn't stomach $500 on the chance we MIGHT get sick). I'm so glad I listened to that gut feeling (the spirit) and taken him in. By Saturday night his fever was 104.8 and he wouldn't budge, but just sleep. I made him take a cold shower and that lowered it to 104.3. It's very scary seeing your child so sick. All his medicine he threw up within an hour of taking it, so we never knew how much he got in. Some must have helped though because by that night his fever was down to 102.7, very reasonable considering. By Sunday he was doing much better and Monday morning he was bouncing on the walls and insisted on going to school (Mr. 4.0 perfect attendance would never miss school unless he was in the hospital). Now let's just pray that nobody else gets it.

2 comments:

Jayme said...

Oh, so sorry. Hailey just got over that flu, you saw the pictures, and she had strep a couple of months ago. I'm so grateful that she didn't have them at the same time! Hope everyone else is doing well!

The Chicago Bowlers said...

Sorry that James has been so sick...poor kid! I hope that no one else gets it. Get better soon James!