Thursday, February 7, 2008

Snow





That is all I can say. If I try to be positive, I'd be lying. This winter has been full of it. We have probably had at least 10 snowstorms hit so far and another one is hitting right now. December we saw 29 inches of snow. January 18 inches of snow and in February already, we have had 10 inches of snow. The weatherman said that we have had measureable snow every other day for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Ugh!!! Guess who does the shoveling? ME! It always seems to hit in the night and all morning when everybody else is at work or school, so I am out there shoveling by myself. I keep trying to remind myself that moisture is good for us, and the kids love it, but let it hit everywhere except my car and the driveway and sidewalks. Albeit a pain in the neck, my southern kids have loved it. There is a good hill in the backyard and they sled down it a lot (it's hard to get up right now since the snow is 1 1/2 feet deep they are trudging in). We need to borrow gramps' snowshoes. Jenni went on a field trip with school skiing. James' young men's combined activity next week is to go skiing. Only Emma will not have tried out the ski slopes this year. James wants to try snowboarding, having used a plastic one in the backyard, so we'll see. James went on his klondike campout two weeks ago and they camped on top of the snow (it was apparently very very deep in the mountains) and had to use snowshoes to get in to their campsite. He loved it, though, and said he wasn't cold too much. We have had enough snow to make a good sized snow cave if the kids ever finish it. I will post pictures soon of all this fun. So you Virginians and Floridians just think of us. Even in the hardest snowstorms of all, there is no snow day from school, the kids still trudge through the unplowed sidewalks to get to school (sometimes I'll drive them, but usually I make them walk). I miss the snow days. I miss never shoveling. I miss temperatures above 32 degrees and nights above 10 degrees. We should get to 42 degrees this weekend so I will rejoice by wearing a short sleeved shirt outside - it will be downright balmy.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey Athena! Long time no see, write, email, etc... BTW, it's Jenn Mitchell from Florida (now Gerogia). I hijacked my way to your blog from Elaine's! Good to hear how you all are doing! I'll check back in the future! :)

Kathleen said...

i was outside in a short sleeve shirt today. woo-hoo!